Page 1 of 2
In the late seventeenth century and after some calamity suffered by our people, began to take shape devotion to Mare de Déu both Desamparats under the devotion of "Mother of protective and consoling grieving." By that time many mureros and mureras left after his death many donations to hospitals dedicated to this advocation in Valencia. But since mid-eighteenth century probate appear donated to the chapel of the Virgin of the homeless located in the town of Muro. In this regard, the sculptor Tomas Molins, acting as such in the parish of St. Stephen Valencia, and was married with a "murera", created the original image of the patron for this chapel, a cypress tree that had grown in the vicinity of the popular shrine of St. Anthony, and replacing the table since the seventeenth century is revered in the population. This new image made her grand entrance on the day May 14, 1769.
As we have commented since the seventeenth century devotion to the Virgin of the homeless is in the town of Muro. But in 1763 the chapel remains small and provides for the construction of another larger that could accommodate all the faithful. For this new construction, Maria Alonso, a member of a prominent family murera donated land for the construction of a hospital and a chapel adjacent to the house where the homeless virgin, this new company was unable to carry out until 1768, and so one year, the chapel was completed, and will deposit the new image of Molins which was moved in procession from the parish to their oratory.
Soon the small chapel was so little and again in 1770 attempted extend the lead but did not get the expected response, and had to wait until 1777. However, the construction of the new chapel was not without its problems, first; economic, which the sculptor Tomas Molins donated several land which they own, and second, and most serious, was the stoppage of works by the archdiocese of Valencia, since at the same time it was building the new parish church, and the people could not withstand such economic burden. For that reason, the Primate of Valencia forced, under penalty of excommunication, before ending the works of the Church of St. John Baptist de Muro, the Temple of the Virgin Mary, and he was more important to have a new parish church able. However, the works were not able to resume until 40 years later, once they had opened the new church, and in 1849 the archdiocese lifted the excommunication to initiate work on the temple of the Virgin.
The August 5, 1849 resumed work on the current chapel, which was opened and blessed on May 12, 1860.
But it was not until 1905 when a proposal by Jose Maria Sais de Molina, began the formalities to proclaim canonically to the Virgen de los Desamparados, saint patron of the town of Muro. These procedures are alargaron in time and it was not until April 14, 1907 when it received the response from the Vatican.
Pope Pius X had proclaimed the Virgin patron saint of the town of Muro, and on 21 April the same year received the letter proclamation. The news was welcomed with joy and people engalanó for such grand event, and there were magnificent celebrations from the day 11 to May 20, 1907.
It was in this year when it began to put the blue and white canopy to which we are accustomed today, but during that time was placed in the cruiser and not on the high altar as is the case now.
In 1936 with the outbreak of civil war the shrine of the Virgin was assaulted and image of the patron just being burned, along with their breathing. So, once finished civil war, the population had to order a new image, which was commissioned Francisco Teruel Francés, which made its grand entrance in the town on 23 February 1940.
Regarding the breathing, built in 1854 1921 1942 set about building a replica of those breathing that characterize both the image Our patron. To which it began publishing in the newspaper La Voz de Muro, led by Rafael Satorre Cano, and began to be collected numerous donations and numerous gifts that enriched further the current image of our patron.
Significantly, the latest restoration of the new image was conducting his bust in the year 1976, as prior to that date the picture was only on the face and hands of porcelain.